ARE YOU STRUGGLING WITH DEPRESSION, ANXIETY OR STRESS?
IF YES , THEN THIS POST COULD BE A LIFE SAVER FOR YOU!!
PERSONALLY, I DIDN’T KNOW THAT ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION CAN RUIN SOMEBODY’S LIFE (I MEAN LITERALLY). ANXIETY IS BRUTAL. DO YOU KNOW THAT MILD ANXIETY ATTACK AND DEPRESSION MAY LEAD TO EARLY DEATH? DON’T BELIEVE ME HERE IS THE LINK
PERSONAL STORY – I STRUGGLED WITH DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY (GAD) FOR LIKE 8 YEARS , THAT WAS SOME HORRIBLE TIME FOR ME, I DIDN’T KNOW WHAT TO DO. PARENTS AND WELL WISHERS WERE SOMEWHAT UNDERSTANDABLE BUT THEY DIDN’T KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO DEAL WITH THAT.I WAS LONELY(LITERALLY). I WENT TO SEE A LOT OF PSYCHIATRISTS AND HAD A LOT OF MEDICINES, PROZAC,ZOLOFT,PAXIL, LEXAPRO , CELEXA ETC. MEDICINES WERE QUITE IMPACTFUL BUT I ALWAYS FELT THAT IAM EMPTY FROM INSIDE. THERE WAS NO JOY IN MY LIFE. YEAH SUICIDE WAS THE OPTION BUT I WASN’T COWARD I WAS BRAVE. I HAD DECIDED TO DEAL WITH IT. LUCKILY, I KNEW THAT YOGA AND MEDITATION COULD BE HELPFUL . THEN ONE DAY , I TRIED “ANULOM VILOM” FOR LIKE 20 MINUTES AND BELIEVE YOU ME, THAT WAS THE BEST FEELING EVER, I MEAN I FELT LIKE I AM CURED.IT WAS THAT MUCH POWERFUL.
NOW, I AM TOTALLY CURED AND LEAD A PEACEFUL LIFE , I WAS ALSO A LITTLE BIT AGGRESSIVE PERSON BEFORE DOING YOGA, NOT ANYMORE. ALL THANKS TO YOGA , SO THESE YOGA PRACTICES WILL SURELY HELP YOU TO OVERCOME ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION –
- ANULOM VILOM- ALSO KNOWN AS ” ALTERNATE NOSTRIL BREATHING”
IT IS A PRACTICE OF INHALATION, RETENTION AND EXHALATION.
HOW TO DO IT?
- Sit in a steady asana. Padmasana is most suited for the practice. Siddhasana and Vajrasana may also be used.
- Close the right nostril with your thumb and draw in air from the left nostril. Do this as slowly as you can, till your lungs are full.
- Now release the thumb and close the left nostril with your ring finger. Then breathe out slowly through the right nostril.
- Next take the air in from the right nostril and then release it through the left nostril (after closing the right nostril with the thumb).
- This is one round of Anulom Vilom Pranayama.
- Start with 5 rounds and increase it up to 20 rounds in one sitting.
- Also, the duration of inhalation can start from 2 seconds and go up to 20 seconds or even beyond.
- One can have one sitting in the morning and one in the evening. For advanced practitioners, the yogic texts recommends four sittings – one in the morning, one at noon, one in the evening and one at midnight. But for all practical purposes, two sittings (one in morning and one in evening) are enough.
- After one has reached a certain level of proficiency, one can add Kumbhaka or retention of breath to the practice.
WHAT ARE THE OTHER POSSIBLE BENEFITS –
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama cleans the pranic channels and makes the prana flow freely in the entire body. The nadis or the pranic energy channels are purified. Hence this pranayama is also called Nadi Shodhana Pranayama.
- Purification of the energy channels ensures proper supply of pranic energy to all the organs enhancing the overall health of the body.
- Anulom Vilom Pranyama balances the two main energy channels – Ida and Pingala. It balances the two hemispheres of the brain, bringing about peace and tranquility.
- When the Ida and Pingala nadis are balanced, it awakens the central channel called Sushumna Nadi.
- It removes toxins from the body.
- Prolonged practice of Anulom Vilom Pranayama leads to next stage of yoga, which is Pratyahara or withdrawal of the senses. This enables the practitioner to progress towards higher practices of Dharana, Dhyana and Samadhi.
- It can reduce weight in some practitioners depending on their body constitution and is a good practice for obesity
NOTE- PLEASE DO THAT FOR MINIMUM HALF AN HOUR A DAY SO THAT YOU COULD SEE THE IMPACT.
2. BHRAMARI PRANAYAMA – BHRAMARI MEANS “BUMBLE BEE” AND PRANAYAMA MEANS “CONTROLLED BREATHING”
ACTIVITY OF THIS PRANAYAMA HELPS TO INDUCE A CHILLED IMPACT ON THE MIND RAPIDLY.IT HELPS IN REDUCING HIGH MENTAL STRESS,FATIGUE AND ANXIETY.
HOW TO DO IT?
- Sit on the Padmasana or any other sitting Asana.·
- Close your eyes and breathe deeply.·
- Now close your ears lids or flaps with your thumbs.·
- Place your index finger just above your eyebrows and the rest of your Fingers over your eyes with your middle fingers.·
- Applying very gentle pressure to the sides of your nose.·
- Now concentrate your mind on the area between your eyebrows.·
- Keep your mouth closed; breathe out slowly through your nose with making a humming sound of Om.·
- Repeat this process for 5 times. Important thing is that while doing this Pranayama assume that your are being connected to all the positive energies of the universe
WHAT WOULD I GAIN-
- This is the best method to achieve concentration of mind.
- It opens the blockage and gives a feeling of happiness to mind and brain( LITERALLY)
- Beneficial in relieving from hypertension.
- It relaxes the mind and lowers stress.
3. BHASTRIKA PRANAYAMA – BHASTRITKA MEANS “BELLOWS” AND PRANAYAMA MEANS “CONTROLLED BREATHING.
IN BHASTRIKA PRANAYAMA, BODY GETS THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF OXYGEN DUE TO COMPLETE INHALING AND EXHALING.
HOW TO DO IT?
- Sit comfortably on flat ground. Those who can’t sit on ground can sit on chair because this pranayama is related to the breath.
- Take a deep breath through both nostrils and fill the lungs with air and then exhale with hissing sound.
- Inhale deeply and exhale completely.
- Do this for 2 min to 5 minutes max and see the result in a few days.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS –
- It improves blood circulation.
- Keep away the heart related problems.
- Provide relaxation to body and mind.
- Improves your concentration.
- Helps to stronger the lungs.
- Relive stress depression and hypertension.
- Cures obesity and arthritis.
- Calms the mind.
- Cures throat infection.
- Increases appetite.
- Cure asthma, headache, migraine, neurological problems, depression, gastric problems.
NOTE- THOSE SUFFERING FROM LUNGS , HEART AND HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE PROBLEMS SHOULD PERFORM SLOWLY.